Yoga for cholesterol reduction helps curb cholesterol naturally without any harmful side effects on the body.
So, cholesterol is a lipid found in the body and is often thought to be harmful to the body. However, contrary to popular belief, cholesterol is essential for the normal functioning and maintenance of the body.
Additionally, it is essential for the formation of membranes and membrane fluids. And, is also known to play an important role in the synthesis of vitamin D and hormones such as progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone.
Although it is beneficial for the body, excess cholesterol can be harmful. And, high cholesterol levels in the bloodstream can lead to clogged arteries and eventually heart complications.
According to, one small 2013 study looked at 100 individuals in India living with type 2 diabetes.
Who participated in yoga for 3 months, in addition to taking oral hypoglycemic drugs, showed a decrease in total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides. Moreover, they also showed improvement in HDL (high-density lipoproteins).
8 yoga for cholesterol reduction
Yoga for cholesterol reduction is effective for lowering cholesterol. Here are 8 yoga poses for cholesterol reduction.
1. Child’s pose or Balasana
This yoga for cholesterol helps reduce stress and allows for deep relaxation.
How to do
- To start getting into a kneeling position, sit back toward your feet.
- Then separate your knees as wide as your hips and lay your torso down between your thighs.
- And keep your arms resting alongside your torso, palms facing up, or can also extend the arms out in front with your palms down against the mat.
- Remember to inhale and exhale freely.
- Hold for 30 seconds 2 minutes.
2. Paschimottanasana or Seated forward bend
This yoga for cholesterol reduction stretches areas and helps open up your hips. Moreover, this stretch is excellent for runners who tend to have tight hamstrings.
Additionally, it is also considered to be a calming pose. and is said that forward bends can help relieve stress and even improve your mood.
How to do
- To start, come to a seated position with your legs straight out in front of you.
- Now, inhale and lengthen your spine.
- Then, exhale and slowly start to bend over your legs and try to move from the hips and not the waist.
- Make sure your back should be flat and your head should be upright.
- Now, breathe as you continue to reach in the direction of your feet or ankles, going only as far is comfortable for you.
- Hold the pose for 1-2 minutes, depending on your comfort level.
3. Shalabhasana or Locust pose
This yoga for cholesterol increases the flexibility and strength of your back and increases blood circulation. Moreover, it also strengthens shoulders & arms and massages and tones abdominal organs and improves digestion.
How to do
- To start, lie down on the ground on your belly and put your palms on the ground and join both your feet.
- Now, extend both your hands above your head.
- Then, slowly raise the lower portion of the waist and the portion above the chest in the air.
- hold the pose for 315-90 seconds and then relax.
4. Seated spinal twist
This yoga for cholesterol reduction encourages healthy digestion and processing of the liver and kidneys. Moreover, relieves backaches, sciatica, menstrual discomfort, and stretches the upper body.
How to do
- To start, seated upright with the left leg bent on the floor with the heel by your right hip and the right leg crossed over the left, sole of the right foot on the floor.
- Then, elongate your spine as you extend your left hand up to the ceiling.
- Now, start to twist toward the right, ending with your left elbow outside your right knee.
- And, inhale to find more length and exhale to deepen the twist.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds – 1 minute, then switch to the other side.
5. Wheel pose or Urdhva Dhanurasana
A more advanced pose, this yoga for cholesterol is better suited to experienced yogis. Additionally, it improves spinal mobility and opens your chest along with it strengthening the arms, shoulders, and legs. Moreover, wheel Pose is traditionally said to be energizing and can lift your mood.
How to do
- To start, lie on your back with your feet on the floor and knees bent, hip-distance apart.
- Your arms should be stretched out on the floor next to the body, fingertips grazing your heels.
- Now, place your hands under your shoulders, pressing them into your mat, and keep your elbows drawn in.
- Then, press down into your feet and hands and inhale as you press up, first to the top of your head, and pause.
- Now, push into your arms and lift up into the full wheel.
- Hold the pose for 10-30 sec and repeat up to 3 times.
Yoga for cholesterol reduction along with a healthy plant-based diet can be a great complement to your wellness routine. This will help you decrease total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL levels.
Additionally, this yoga for cholesterol reduction will also help you in improvement in HDL good cholesterol levels. Just get your doctor’s permission first or work with your doctor to create a personalized plan for your health.