Yoga for weight gain addresses problems like lack of appetite, poor metabolism, stress, and digestive issues. Yoga for weight gain allows you to target specific muscle groups through long holds and deep poses.
Moreover, it also helps overcome these problems, and stabilizes weight, and ensures you hit the right weight goals.
How does yoga for weight gain help?
Yoga for weight gain enhances the circulation of oxygen and blood, which results in improving your body’s nutrient absorption ability.
Furthermore, it also strengthens the muscles and stamina, which allows you to become strong and flexible.
It is essential to note that these yoga poses for weight gain work mainly towards regulating your metabolism.
Therefore, you must not avoid these asanas if you are trying to lose weight.
In addition, to gain weight and muscle size along with these poses, you need a diet high enough in calories.
7 Best poses Yoga for weight gain
Yoga is an ancient practice known for its ability to improve deep breathing skills and restore calm, apart from this yoga for weight gain also helps increase muscular strength.
Here are the 7 effective and best Yoga poses for weight gain.
1. Chair Pose or Utkatasana
This yoga asana targets your thighs, hamstrings, and glutes area. Additionally, it also stimulates the diaphragm and heart to increase blood flow, balance and builds cardiovascular health and resilience.
- To start, stand with feet together and arms at your sides.
- Now, lift your arms up over your head with fingers pointing toward the sky and keep them close to your ears.
- Gently bend your knees to get into a partial squat position, with knees and thighs parallel and your hips back like you’re sitting in a chair.
- Then, slightly lean your upper body forward and reach through your fingers.
- Hold for 10–15 breaths and breathe normally.
2. Wheel pose Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana
By doing this yoga for weight gain, the blood circulation in your body will be better and your waist gets more flexible.
Additionally, it also benefits your hands, shoulders, hips, thighs, and balances your hormones also.
- To start, lie down on your back on your yoga mat.
- Now take your hands behind the shoulders and gently lift your body to make a chakra.
- Hold the position for 30-60 sec, relax and repeat for 4 times.
3. Upward-Facing Dog Pose or Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
This yoga for weight gain strengthens your arms, spine, and wrists. Moreover, it stretches your chest, lungs, shoulders, abdomen, and improves your lungs’ breathing capacity.
Furthermore, it also stimulates abdominal organs and improves posture.
- To start, lie facedown with your arms bent and palms flat on the floor next to your chest.
- Now, press your palms into the floor and lift your torso off the floor.
- Get your glutes and hamstrings engaged.
- Inhale to lift your torso higher.
- Get your arms fully extended, and your hips and thighs off the floor.
- And stretch your head back to look up at the ceiling and keep shoulders away from ears.
- Hold for 30-50 sec, relax and repeat for 5 times.
4. Four-Limbed Staff Pose or Chaturanga
This is one of the most beneficial poses for muscle gain and strength building. Moreover, it also strengthens your core, shoulders, arms, wrists, thighs, and ankles.
- To start, come to a high plank pose.
- Engage your core and glutes, bend your elbows, and lower your shoulders (they should be at the same height as your elbows).
- Get your elbows close to your body and point back the whole time.
- Move over the floor with your upper body and legs about 2–3 inches off the floor.
- Then, look slightly forward and open up your chest and upper back.
- Now, get back up into a high plank or Downward- or Upward-Facing Dog.
Hold for 15–45 seconds.
5. Sarvangasana or Shoulder stand
This yoga for weight gain is an inversion, and therefore, a new lot of blood reaches the inaccessible areas, which gives them a boost of nutrients.
Moreover, it clears energy blocks and strengthens your body.
- To start, lie down in the Shavasana.
- Then, lift your legs up as you support your hips with your palms.
- Now, shift the body weight on the shoulders, and lift your upper body too, as your head and upper back remain on the floor.
- Hold for 30-60 seconds and release.
6. Wind Relieving Pose or Pavanamuktasana
This yoga asanas for weight gain is greatly beneficial for anyone having any kind of digestion problems, including acidity, indigestion, constipation, and flatulence.
Additionally, it is also great for menstrual problems and enhances reproductive organs. Moreover, it adds strength to the lower back muscles.
- To start, lie down on your back.
- Now, lift the legs and bend your knees.
- Then, lift your upper body, till your thighs touch the stomach and hug your knees.
- Now, lock your fingers and stay in this position for 20-30 seconds, breathing rhythmically and slowly.
7. Fish pose or Matsyasana
This yoga for weight gain is a highly beneficial pose as it works on many systems collectively, including your thyroid gland.
Moreover, it regulates an overactive thyroid gland that can also cause weight reduction. The pose strengthens your digestive, reproductive, and cardiovascular systems.
- To start, lie on your back, and then cross your legs in the Padmasana.
- Now, slowly curve your back such that your head rests on your crown holding your toes with your hand.
- Always feel the curve in the upper back and neck.
- Hold for 40-60 seconds and release.
Yoga for weight gain, its regular practice can benefit both your mind and your body. However, if your goal is to gain weight or muscle size, you’ll need to add resistance training and eat enough calories to create a surplus.
Try including all are a few of this yoga for weight gain into your daily practice to reach your weight gain goal. It’s always advised to seek your doctor’s advice before starting any new practice.